Skip to main content

Raising Arrows


I was reading in Psalm tonight and I came across a scripture that amazed my heart. It stuck with me in a wonderful way. Nathan and I have been slowly readying our home for the blessing we know God is going to give us and Psalm 127:3-5 just reminded me how children are a sweet reward from Him. It also reminds me that when we raise children, we raise arrows. We are raising warriors for God's tribe. We are raising soldiers for God's army. I want to raise arrows. I want to be that mom who equips her children with the love of God and the virtues necessary to be not only efficient, but mighty opponents of the enemy. I want our kids to be ready for anything the world throws at them because their roots will be deeply planted and watered by the Word of God. I want them to not only be reactive, but to be proactive members of the body of Christ. I want their testimonies to shine brighter than the glitz & glam the world uses to lure our youth in. I want them to be effective and sharpened arrows of God.

With this revelation, I wanted something in the nursery to place in front of the glider where I will be feeding my children to remind me of the powerful warrior I hold in my arms and the precious calling God has placed upon my life to help shape that arrow in my quiver, to guide it down the path it should take when it comes times to release it into the world. So of course I turned to Pinterest and it yielded this amazing print (of course no longer available). It did inspire me however to create a word art all my own to display in the nursery (I'll post it when it's completed). 

My search also rendered this really cute tank that I really want when the time comes!!

If you're raising children and haven't thought about the fact that your children are like arrows in your quiver, think about it now. Have you sharpened those arrows with the word of God? Have you treated them like the precious gift they are while preparing them for the war we fight on a daily basis in this world? Have you pointed that arrow in the right direction before you've let it go?
I am so grateful that God is teaching me these lessons early and I will pour over any advice the Bible has to give... and there's still a huge possibility that I'll screw it up (and I probably will). BUT-- I know my God is helping me and guiding me in my journey to becoming a parent and I know that He's impressing these things upon my heart now before I am bombarded with all the diapers and distractions that having a baby brings. This is so important.
I know He is busy molding me into the mom he wants me to be.
And now I know that I want to be a mom that raises arrows.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm a Dandelion

           Dandelions have held such a beautiful meaning to me since I was 13. I was at one of my very first Bible studies in the class my dad taught. He was the youth pastor of our small church and I was excited to finally be involved in the activities I had been witness to for so long. I tried my best to fit in with the others, but there was quite a big age gap between myself and the established pack. A song quietly played in the background and amongst the teen chatter, my ear caught the faint words. I had a hard time processing them above the noise so I made a mental note of any words I could remember. When I got home I typed them into a Yahoo search and there it was, in it's entirety. As I read the words I began to sob.        I so often felt like weeds among flowers. I was too short and too chubby and too blonde in the mental yet very physical sense. I played flute in the marching band and had only 2 close friends who also played the flute. I was a geek of geeks

Unmother

Please note: This was a post I have struggled to publish. I have not used this blog too often to put too much personal information out there, but after studying about  unity and maturity in the body of Christ  through Ephesians, I knew I needed to be authentic. I hope you accept the following with open arms, knowing that I am bearing my very soul to you.Not many people know the struggle that I have faced, but I am beginning to realize that it's important to share in each other's burdens . SO here I bear my burdens, sharing with you in my heartache, that I might also encourage you, bearing your burdens as my own. Today is Mother's Day. Growing up, I never dreamed that this day could be associated with anything but happiness, joy, and thankfulness. When we experienced the miscarriage of our only baby on October 31st 2014, bracing myself for Mother's Day was something I didn't think to do. With the pain of my loss and everything on my plate with Christmas j

Can You Handle It?

Your baby has cancer. She's not quite a baby anymore, but she's your only child... a miracle birthed from years of infertility and hormone treatments. She is the center of your world. You spent her entire childhood protecting her as best as you could. You prayed for her daily. You raised her up in the ways of the Lord. You've watched her grow into a beautiful young woman who is compassionate and caring. She lights up every room she enters and she truly has been a blessing from God. You are so thankful that God has allowed you a daughter so precious, but there she lies in that hospital bed and you are unable to make it better. This is one boo-boo you can't kiss. You'd trade places with her in a heartbeat, but God has not granted that request thus far. She's not upset, but you are. The mounting medical bills, the straining to hold onto hope that she will be healed, the days you've missed at work that have led to excessive worrying about your job securi