Skip to main content

Little Steps of Faith


November 14, 2010 I posted to Facebook:
"Why did I go there?   Why didn't he?"

Nathan had just dropped me off at home after we finally had the opportunity to celebrate our anniversary. We had been in our courtship for 3 years and I was expecting more out of our time together than he was. We were on the same page when we agreed to enter this relationship with the intent to get married, but somewhere in the waiting, we got out of sync. Nathan was working for Fresno County Parks and Recreation and didn't have the finances to raise a family, so he refused to officially propose until he could afford to take care of me. It made me so frustrated and I sadly met every milestone with hopeful anticipation that he might put a ring on it.

I remember so vividly how I felt when I posted this. I went to dinner that night thinking he was going to finally propose - and when he didn't I was crushed inside. I spent the night and the better part of the next day crying into my pillow. Little did I know that the following anniversary would be even worse. Another year passed along with a dozen opportunities he didn't take advantage of... magical moments of joy and laughter inevitably ending in my crying secret tears. I loved him so much and wanted so badly for him to make the gesture that proved he felt the same.
It wasn't until December of that following year that I couldn't wait anymore and gave him until the end of the year to officially commit.

He proposed on New Years Eve, just a couple hours before the year was over.
Minutes after he proposed
Later I would find out that he had planned to propose at Disneyland the following month, but that my parents told him not to wait. And although it would have been amazing, I'm so glad he didn't wait.
Not long after he proposed, God opened the door to a great job for Nathan as a sub. Once he stepped out in faith, God provided. Everything fell into place after that. We were married another year later, following 5 years of courtship.

If you're waiting for the perfect time to make a move (no matter what that move might be), it'll never happen. It doesn't work that way. I almost left Nathan. Which brings me to another point... don't be impatient. I knew that Nathan was God's will for my life, but I was so caught up in my own desire that I almost missed out on this amazing life with this amazing man and our amazing miracle child.
It hasn't been easy, but nothing worth anything ever is. It takes hard work, dedication and little leaps of faith. Sometimes all God wants us to do is step out. Sometimes He just needs us to hold on a little longer. No matter what side of the equation you're standing on, God is still faithful. He loves us and He wants the best for us. Pray, seek His face, and don't get tired of doing what is right.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm a Dandelion

           Dandelions have held such a beautiful meaning to me since I was 13. I was at one of my very first Bible studies in the class my dad taught. He was the youth pastor of our small church and I was excited to finally be involved in the activities I had been witness to for so long. I tried my best to fit in with the others, but there was quite a big age gap between myself and the established pack. A song quietly played in the background and amongst the teen chatter, my ear caught the faint words. I had a hard time processing them above the noise so I made a mental note of any words I could remember. When I got home I typed them into a Yahoo search and there it was, in it's entirety. As I read the words I began to sob.        I so often felt like weeds among flowers. I was too short and too chubby and too blonde in the mental yet very physical sense. I played flute in the marching band and had only 2 close friends who also played the flute. I was a geek of geeks

Unmother

Please note: This was a post I have struggled to publish. I have not used this blog too often to put too much personal information out there, but after studying about  unity and maturity in the body of Christ  through Ephesians, I knew I needed to be authentic. I hope you accept the following with open arms, knowing that I am bearing my very soul to you.Not many people know the struggle that I have faced, but I am beginning to realize that it's important to share in each other's burdens . SO here I bear my burdens, sharing with you in my heartache, that I might also encourage you, bearing your burdens as my own. Today is Mother's Day. Growing up, I never dreamed that this day could be associated with anything but happiness, joy, and thankfulness. When we experienced the miscarriage of our only baby on October 31st 2014, bracing myself for Mother's Day was something I didn't think to do. With the pain of my loss and everything on my plate with Christmas j

Can You Handle It?

Your baby has cancer. She's not quite a baby anymore, but she's your only child... a miracle birthed from years of infertility and hormone treatments. She is the center of your world. You spent her entire childhood protecting her as best as you could. You prayed for her daily. You raised her up in the ways of the Lord. You've watched her grow into a beautiful young woman who is compassionate and caring. She lights up every room she enters and she truly has been a blessing from God. You are so thankful that God has allowed you a daughter so precious, but there she lies in that hospital bed and you are unable to make it better. This is one boo-boo you can't kiss. You'd trade places with her in a heartbeat, but God has not granted that request thus far. She's not upset, but you are. The mounting medical bills, the straining to hold onto hope that she will be healed, the days you've missed at work that have led to excessive worrying about your job securi