Skip to main content

Becoming Unveiled

I am a daily reader of the emails I get from Jennifer at the Unveiled Wife. Almost everyday they hit just the right chord with what is going on in my life at that very moment, verifying the fact that she is prayerful in the way she words her emails and blog posts. I know that she is an instrument used by our Mighty God to witness to me exactly when I need to be moved by Him.

Something I have recently learned through reading Jennifer's book is the importance of being unveiled.

- First and foremost, I am constantly striving to become most honest and transparent with the One who knows me better than I know myself, my Lord, Jesus Christ. I have begun to grow in my relationship with Him, through my transparency, in ways I would have never expected to grow.
- Secondly, I'm learning to be open with my husband, choosing to have intimate conversations about the corners of my mind I have previously chosen to keep hidden. I feel our bond has deepened tremendously and our understanding of one another pushed to new bounds. We are actively striving to improve communication.
- Third, I'm trying to be candid in the things I post online. I am aware of the dangers of the world wide web, but I know the interactions we have in cyberspace can have a huge positive and life changing effect on people. Just as negativity and cyber-bullying are life impacting, I know from experience that encouraging words of wisdom, Biblical truths, and honest personal experiences can speak volumes to someone's well-being.

The third of which I know by experience to be true. I stumbled across Jennifer's book "The Unveiled Wife" by nothing less than God's divine direction. I was longing to reestablish an intimate connection with my husband, scouring the internet for articles and advice as how to bring my marriage to it's highest potential. I am a seriously flawed woman married to a seriously flawed man, and we are just two flawed broken people attempting to be better. No matter how much we press into God and His word, we are human; flawed and failing. Sadly it's in our nature to self-destruct, but I was not satisfied with complacency. If our marriage was one to be God-glorifying, there were definite changes needing to be made, but the flame of success was snuffed out by pride.


It was a few days ago when I read the words of Jennifer's Daily Marriage Prayer, that I realized I needed to excel in compassion. I might have shown glimpses of it here and there, but I was severely lacking in this area. The following prayer spoke volumes from my heart:
I do know that I am not at all as compassionate as I should be with my husband. He is so very patient with me, yet I fail to be kind, patient or generous with him. I thank God so much for bringing this to my attention and when He did, my heart was met with immediate conviction. I began to pray about my attitude toward my husband and I began to think about the way I've treated him lately. 

He doesn't deserve short answers said through irritated tones. He doesn't deserve a cold shoulder when we are in disagreement. He doesn't deserve slammed doors or heavy sighs, turned up noses or crooked jaws, crossed arms or turned backs. And if I feel he does, indeed, deserve those things whilst in the heat of the moment, I have to remember one thing... I deserved all those things, but Christ was compassionate with me. I deserved every bit of judgement and punishment, but Christ had compassion on me. He answered softly and calmly. He held my hand and caressed my face. He looked into my eyes, His filled with love, and forgave me. He loved me and was kind, patient and generous to me when I least deserved it.

I know if I am to be molded into the likeness of Christ, I need to embrace the compassion He has shown me, and show that same compassion to my husband. I need to meet uncomfortable or heated situations with love and kindness. I have to lay my pride aside and remember to treat my husband with dignity and respect, softness and gentleness, love and forgiveness. 

I challenge you to think about the way you've interacted with your husband today. Have you been compassionate toward him? Have you emoted kindness, patience and generosity? Have you meant it?
I challenge you to pray about this area of your marriage. I challenge you to make a change.
I challenge you to forgive yourself as God has forgiven you, forgive you husband in the like, and move forward in compassion from this day on.


If you haven't read Jennifer's book, I encourage you to look into it here.
If you are interested in her blog, you can read it here.
If you are in need of prayer, you can leave a comment below or contact me at lovealeethoughts@gmail.com



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm a Dandelion

           Dandelions have held such a beautiful meaning to me since I was 13. I was at one of my very first Bible studies in the class my dad taught. He was the youth pastor of our small church and I was excited to finally be involved in the activities I had been witness to for so long. I tried my best to fit in with the others, but there was quite a big age gap between myself and the established pack. A song quietly played in the background and amongst the teen chatter, my ear caught the faint words. I had a hard time processing them above the noise so I made a mental note of any words I could remember. When I got home I typed them into a Yahoo search and there it was, in it's entirety. As I read the words I began to sob.        I so often felt like weeds among flowers. I was too short and too chubby and too blonde in the mental yet very physical sense. I played flute in the marching band and had only 2 close friends who also played the flute. I was a geek of geeks

Unmother

Please note: This was a post I have struggled to publish. I have not used this blog too often to put too much personal information out there, but after studying about  unity and maturity in the body of Christ  through Ephesians, I knew I needed to be authentic. I hope you accept the following with open arms, knowing that I am bearing my very soul to you.Not many people know the struggle that I have faced, but I am beginning to realize that it's important to share in each other's burdens . SO here I bear my burdens, sharing with you in my heartache, that I might also encourage you, bearing your burdens as my own. Today is Mother's Day. Growing up, I never dreamed that this day could be associated with anything but happiness, joy, and thankfulness. When we experienced the miscarriage of our only baby on October 31st 2014, bracing myself for Mother's Day was something I didn't think to do. With the pain of my loss and everything on my plate with Christmas j

Can You Handle It?

Your baby has cancer. She's not quite a baby anymore, but she's your only child... a miracle birthed from years of infertility and hormone treatments. She is the center of your world. You spent her entire childhood protecting her as best as you could. You prayed for her daily. You raised her up in the ways of the Lord. You've watched her grow into a beautiful young woman who is compassionate and caring. She lights up every room she enters and she truly has been a blessing from God. You are so thankful that God has allowed you a daughter so precious, but there she lies in that hospital bed and you are unable to make it better. This is one boo-boo you can't kiss. You'd trade places with her in a heartbeat, but God has not granted that request thus far. She's not upset, but you are. The mounting medical bills, the straining to hold onto hope that she will be healed, the days you've missed at work that have led to excessive worrying about your job securi