Skip to main content

Project Semicolon : Revision

REVISED- well, because my story isn't over yet...

I was recently introduced to ProjectSemicolon through Instagram. It's important to raise awareness to the issues of mental health and I support anyone trying to make a difference when it comes to depression, addiction, self-injury and suicide. We have always heard the side of the media, but have you ever heard about it in church?

Growing up, mental health was something that wasn't really discussed in my church. I grew up thinking that if you had "stinkin' thinkin'" (as I've heard a popular preacher say), that you just weren't as in tune to the Lord as you should be. I've read books that talked about the war in our minds and the power we have to change the way we think. Most everything pointed to it being the problem of the individual and how close their relationship to God was.

It wasn't until I entered college that I noticed some changes in my mind. My hormones had definitely shifted and changed, but I thought perhaps my struggles came from my relationship with God. I dug into my Bible after recommitting myself to Christ, studied the Word like it was my handbook to life, listened to Christian music, applied everything I could possibly apply to all aspects of my day, dived headfirst into leadership and submersed myself in all things God. No matter how "Godly" I was, I still struggled in my head.

A year later, I began to experience intense mood swings. I didn't matter how many scriptures I attempted to internalize, I still reacted off the cuff with every slight change. I'd be completely fine and content one minute, drop my pen and loose my mind the next. My outbursts were not just limited to anger, but also to tears of joy, unexplained laughter, grouchiness, extreme fatigue, lethargy, confusion and frustration. I was a ball of tangled emotion and I felt utterly distanced from God. I was told that it was my fault. I was told that I could control these things and just chose not to. I cried a lot and those feelings quickly turned to depression. I didn't want to get out of bed some days and when I did, I didn't want to talk to anyone or do anything. If I felt overwhelmed, my body would go straight into a panic attack and I'd feel as if I were dying.

When I was at my annual appointment, my lady doctor noticed something was wrong and asked about it. I honestly could not control what was happening to me and for once I felt like I wasn't being blamed. After a process of several tests and visits, we found that my hormones were more out of wack than we thought (this was also when they discovered my endometriosis). I started a regimen of mood stabilizers, birth control and (as needed) anxiety medications. I began to feel "functioning" again and I finally started to enjoy my interactions with life.

That should be where my story ends, (happily ever [after) medications.] When people began to find out about my medications and my diagnoses,  I was harshly judged. I didn't even share the things people would say to me with my closest family & friends. No one knew how bad the struggle had become for me. I was embarrassed and hurt and lost. After some time, I stopped taking my medications because of the ridicule and judgement I felt upon myself. Regardless of those willing to admit it, to them I was a "Christian" who needed medication to feel balanced. I was a disgrace to the name of "Christianity" and a woman of "little faith" to those who knew. If I had been a true Christian and a woman of faith, my faith would have made me whole.

Please know dear friend that this is FALSE!!! DO NOT BELIEVE THE LIE!! You are NOT less of a person or a Christian because you need help. We all need help in different ways! If you had cancer, would you be less of a Christian if you took chemo treatments? NO! If you're a diabetic and you take insulin to keep that in check, are you going to hell because of it? NO! Do you really think you have diabetes because you're not trusting in God enough?? Absolutely NOT!! There will always be someone who doesn't understand the chemical imbalance in your head, who will blame your lack of healing on a lack of faith. Don't for a minute let the lies of the enemy bring you to a place that will lead you away from trusting in Christ! Remember that your identity comes from the one who created you! He loves you and wants you to be well in all aspects of your life!

It took me some time to come to this realizations and it took me longer to understand that God hadn't healed me for a purpose. Sometimes it's hard for us to understand why we must endure things we think we shouldn't have to endure. Becoming a Christian doesn't mean that bad things will stop happening to you. It just means that God will use those bad things in your life to help others who will experience similar situations.

I have been off my medications for almost 3 years now, but only because we are planning to begin our family in January and we know it's best to keep my system clean of these medications for at least 6 months leading up to pregnancy. I know without any doubt that Christ loves me. I feel no condemnation or judgement from the one judge that matters. I am still trusting God for a complete and total healing and I'm getting closer everyday. We have even started eating better and I admit that it has helped quite a bit more than I ever thought it would. There are some days when I still struggle in my mind, but each day that I win the battle and weather the storm inside, is another victory for Jesus! Don't give up and don't lose hope. Your story isn't over yet!!


If you or someone you know is in need of assistance, our friends at Project Semicolon have lots of resources available for you and you can find help here. Their main tagline reads

"A semicolon represents a sentence the author could have ended, but chose not to. The sentence is your life and the author is you." 


The strongest theme and motto for the movement is "Your story isn't over yet" which is something that truly resonated with me, and one that I hope others will draw inspiration from. Let God be the one who decides when your story is complete. You have so much more to do!! If God hasn't taken you yet, it's because He still has a plan for you. Cling to your creator and continue to look toward bright horizons. Don't fixate on the endings, but look forward to fresh starts and new beginnings. It's never too late to start over with God and His mercies are fresh every single day!!

If you would like to donate to help funding for mental health awareness and education, you can do so here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can You Handle It?

Your baby has cancer. She's not quite a baby anymore, but she's your only child... a miracle birthed from years of infertility and hormone treatments. She is the center of your world. You spent her entire childhood protecting her as best as you could. You prayed for her daily. You raised her up in the ways of the Lord. You've watched her grow into a beautiful young woman who is compassionate and caring. She lights up every room she enters and she truly has been a blessing from God. You are so thankful that God has allowed you a daughter so precious, but there she lies in that hospital bed and you are unable to make it better. This is one boo-boo you can't kiss. You'd trade places with her in a heartbeat, but God has not granted that request thus far. She's not upset, but you are. The mounting medical bills, the straining to hold onto hope that she will be healed, the days you've missed at work that have led to excessive worrying about your job securi

Unmother

Please note: This was a post I have struggled to publish. I have not used this blog too often to put too much personal information out there, but after studying about  unity and maturity in the body of Christ  through Ephesians, I knew I needed to be authentic. I hope you accept the following with open arms, knowing that I am bearing my very soul to you.Not many people know the struggle that I have faced, but I am beginning to realize that it's important to share in each other's burdens . SO here I bear my burdens, sharing with you in my heartache, that I might also encourage you, bearing your burdens as my own. Today is Mother's Day. Growing up, I never dreamed that this day could be associated with anything but happiness, joy, and thankfulness. When we experienced the miscarriage of our only baby on October 31st 2014, bracing myself for Mother's Day was something I didn't think to do. With the pain of my loss and everything on my plate with Christmas j

Never Forget... What made us Stronger

I know that it’s been 17 years and it’s hard for some people to remember what that day meant for us as a nation, but I will never forget what it meant for me as a nieve high school student who didn’t think things like that could happen here in America. My tiny bubble of life was popped and I was thrust into a world of terrorism and fear and endless questioning. Glued to my television that day, I w itnessed acts of bravery, a community coming together to help each other, endless tears, death, families in mourning, hope that loved ones would found, prayer. Ignorance was bliss, but that day, my eyes were opened to the truths that children in other countries have known their entire lives. That was the day my prayers began to change. My capacity for compassion grew and my understanding of the world would never be the same again. I might not have personally lost someone to the events of 9/11, but I gained a new part of myself that day and it made me stronger. Today I not only pray for t